The Big Day is on its way! The wedding venue has been booked, the wedding invitations have gone out. The Bride has chosen her dress and she looks beautiful, and the Groom looks more handsome than you thought possible in his wedding suit. You’ve helped with the planning, had more than your share of the planning stress, and now it’s time for you!
To look and feel great too, take time to find the perfect wedding outfit for you. Of course you want something that looks stunning on, but it’s important to be comfortable too. It’s going to be a long day – a late morning or early afternoon ceremony, lots of photographs, an afternoon reception and evening party and your outfit has to work throughout the day.
Our key tips to choosing the perfect wedding outfit:
1. Don’t leave it to the last minute to buy your outfit. A lot of special occasionwear is made in short runs to retain exclusivity, so if you see a beautiful suit and you know it’s the one, snap it up. There will be nothing worse than coming back 2 weeks later to find that it’s no longer available in your size, or that you can no longer buy the matching accessories.
2. That said, take your time deciding what to buy. Use websites, magazines and shopping trips to see what’s available, and try things on so you know what suits your shape. Don’t be afraid to ask for help when browsing for or buying your wedding outfit – the assistants are there to help, and will be happy to help you find the right style and size, and to help you coordinate the whole look.
3. Consider layers. Whether it’s a wedding at home or abroad, there are changes in temperature to be considered. The wedding indoors, the outdoor photographs, air conditioning at the reception venue. If you choose a dress, or skirt and top outfit, you have the option of choosing a formal jacket, a bolero, a shrug or even a pretty cardigan to complement the main outfit.
4. Choose the right shoes. Those shoes with the towering heels that looked wonderful in the shop might not be such a good idea when it comes to a day of celebrating, mingling and that all-important dancing at the evening reception. Choose something that you will still be able to walk in at the end of the evening – and wear them in around the house before the Big Day. Jacques Vert leather shoes are handmade in Italy and are made for comfort as well as style.
5. Accessories are everything. Take time to choose those finishing touch es that will make you feel appropriately dressed for the day. The right bag and shoes are as important as the right dress, but a pretty scarf or necklace might also be just the thing to finish the outfit off.
6. Make-up. Why not treat yourself to a free makeover at one of the make-up counters in your local department store once you have chosen your wedding outfit? Take a picture or a sample of the fabric if you can and they will help you try out a new look for the day itself. These sessions are usually free, but book in advance so you don’t waste a trip.
Should you buy a Wedding Hat or Fascinator?
Well in our opinion nothing says ‘wedding’ like a beautiful hat – and there will never be a better excuse to wear one! A hat is the epitome of formal wear, and will really make you feel and look the part. If you’re not sure you have a ‘head for hats’ or you’re uncomfortable buying a wedding hat, it’s always a good idea to pop into a department store (or a local boutique of course) to try a few on. The assistants there will be very familiar with the range of styles they have available, and will be able to help you find the shape, size and colour to suit you perfectly.
If you’re not sure about wearing a hat to the wedding, or prefer something a little smaller or less structured, a wedding fascinator is the perfect alternative. Fascinators can be a headband, comb or clip with detailing such as beads, feathers or flowers, and have become increasingly popular with wedding guests over the last 5 years. It’s easy to see why – they are feminine, sophisticated and add that final flourish to your wedding outfit; they are also easier to transport and store than a hat. If this is a destination wedding, for example a beach wedding, a fascinator is an ideal option for Mother of the Bride or Groom.
Whether you choose a wedding hat or fascinator, you are going to feel properly dressed. And did you know that tradition says that other wedding guests shouldn’t remove their hats until the Mother of the Bride removes hers? That’s another good reason that all eyes will be on you!
Jacques Vert wedding hats and fascinators are designed exclusively by and for us in-house in London, with each one made to complement our beautiful wedding outfits.
All that’s left to remember on the day:
1. Use waterproof mascara
2. Pop some tissues in your bag (just in case!)
3. And most importantly - have a wonderful day!
Jacques Vert specialises in special occasionwear, and has been dressing discerning women for major events in their calendar for over 30 years. We stock a beautiful and flattering range of classic ladieswear perfect for weddings in sizes 10-24, offering the top-to-toe outfit for wedding guests, mother of the bride and mother of the groom. For wedding outfits, dresses for weddings, and wedding hats and fascinators, browse our mother of the bride and mother of the groom collection now.