A wedding outfit is a big investment, and by definition it’s not an everyday purchase. To ensure you look the part, Jacques Vert has put together some top tips for the discerning wedding guest to make sure the Big Day is every bit as special as it promises to be. (View our catwalk videos)
1. When choosing your wedding outfit, comfort is as important as style. Wear something you feel most comfortable in e.g. a special occasion dress or a two-piece in floaty fabrics to keep you cool in hot weather, or an outfit with a bolero or jacket to add those all-important layers for spring or autumn weddings.
2. If you need your outfit to be versatile, embellishment will add a touch of glamour to take you from the wedding itself, to the reception, to the wedding party in the evening
3. If you would prefer not to wear a jacket to the wedding, a bolero will still look smart but is less formal. For the evening, try a shawl or scarf as a cover-up
4. The Mother of the Bride is the only person apart from the Bride who can get away with wearing white to the wedding itself - but not top to toe. A white or ivory jacket teamed with a black skirt and coordinating accessories will look great, but ensure you have a good balance of colours. Alternatively a black and white print would be a more floaty softer option
5. For the fuller figured wedding guest, choose structured pieces over delicate fabrics. Conservative prints rather than bold prints are more sophisticated
6. Think about choosing a wedding hat with a shallower brim at the front which won’t get in the way when exchanging kisses and greeting guests
7. If you don’t want to wear a hat to the wedding, try a feather fascinator in your hair. A feather fascinator will lift your outfit and bring focus to the face, as will pretty earrings and a necklace
8. Finish your wedding outfit or dress with matching bag and shoes to complete the look. It is a good idea to colour match accessories but if you don’t want to match your bag opt for a neutral and pretty beaded bag which you will use afterwards
9. Keep handbag items to a minimum, and choose small items, i.e. a travel sewing kit and compact make up. Choose a structured clutch bag matching your outfit and ensure it has a detachable strap so it can go over your shoulder when taking those wedding photos and holding your champagne
10. A removable corsage is the perfect way to customise your wedding outfit or dress up a simple jacket to match
Jacques Vert offers a wide range of occasion-ready ladieswear collections in sizes 10-24, perfect for the wedding guest and mother of the bride or groom. Find dresses for weddings with beautiful detailing, charming prints and pretty chiffon skirt and top combinations. Accompany these with a choice from a selection of matching jackets, boleros, crochet cardigans and overshirts. With an offering of wedding accessories to coordinate including elegant shoes, show-stopping wedding hats, chic fascinators and clutch bags with a clever longer strap to free up hands for champagne and congratulations, Jacques Vert offers the top-to-toe solution for special occasion dressing.
View the Jacques Vert Wedding Collection today.